Re: Informatica and Cognos

From: GregoryD <hagar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 04:01:40 GMT

"Ed" <gumzilla_at_optonline.net> wrote in message news:LBN0c.21688$5M6.4418041_at_news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
> I know this may be off-topic, but this seems as likely a place as any in
> which to ask the following question:
>
> I have the opportunity to receive training using Informatica and Cognos as
> part of an agreement to accept a new consulting position. I'd have to pay
> for at least part of the training, but I'm pretty sure that the payoff
(read
> that, my hourly rate) would be very considerable later on.

Define "very considerable." The contract rates for datawarehousing and experience with ETL tools has been on a steep decline for quite a while now, with many of the people who do contracting in this particular skillset being H1Bs with "very considerable" experience.

BTW, you are NOT a consultant if you are learning your trade on a client's dime. You're simply a cash cow for your employer.

If I were you, I'd learn as much about the concepts as possible, and then get a position doing development with one of the ERP packages (SAP Business Warehouse consultants make HUGE money).

GregoryD Received on Mon Mar 01 2004 - 22:01:40 CST