Re: Periodic FAQ & Charter post

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:41:55 -0000

"Hans Forbrich" <hans4321_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:3FC71EB8.C7AD75BF_at_telus.net...
<snip>

> > http://tahiti.oracle.com has searchable error messages (and docs) I'd
> > certainly want t in the error message lookup if not in the docs link.
> > OTN requires free registration.
>
> I'm not sure where Oracle stands on the tahiti site. I get the
> imporession it was the predecessor to the current, and seemingly more
> formal, docs site.
>
> 'docs.oracle.com' is a redirected alias to same page as the
> documentation icon at the top of every OTN page.
>
> It seems that tahiti & docs are really alternate access points to the
> same stuff. Click on any link from tahiti and you get to the same page
> as clicking through the product/version >> 'view documentation' link
> from docs.
>
> (I prefer docs - 2 characters shorter than tahiti <g>).

fair enough. I nearly always use the search facility that tahiti seems to me to do better.

> IIRC, the orafaq includes pointers to all of these.
>
> Discussion?

I can't see the link to jonathan's site in particular - which as the faq on it largely arises from the contibutions of folk in this group would seem on-topic to me.

> > > 2) Posting Guidelines
>
> <snip>
>
> > > 5) Netiquette
> > >
> > > Users are encouraged to follow Netiquette guidelines as described in
> > > Virginia Shea's online book 'Netiquette', online version available at
> > > http://www.albion.com/netiquette/book/index.html
> >
> > I can't see anyone reading it all, and I'm not sure that promoting the
> > targeted flame is helpful given that some of us regulars come across as
> > arrogant and unhelpful anyway. How does the following sound as an
> > alternative?
> >
> > A large number of people read this newsgroup therefore
> > a.. It is always a good idea to read what others in the list or group
are
> > saying for a while, to get a feel for the nature of the list/group, and
what
> > is or is not acceptable to the list/group.
> > b.. Be aware that your postings are archived - for example at
> > http://groups.google.com , and the archives are available for a very
long
> > time. Don't say anything that might come back and haunt you years down
the
> > track.
> > c.. Messages should be both concise and relevant to the group.
> > d.. Spelling mistakes tend to be the rule rather than the exception.
> > Questioning someone else's spelling is not good netiquette, and not
> > necessary unless it occurs in a critical place, like a possibly
mis-spelt
> > URL. Remember that not everyone is a native speaker of your mother
tongue.
> > e.. Don't get involved in or respond to Flame Wars.
> > f.. If you find a posting offensive, avoid it. Sending harassing
messages
> > to the group doesn't help anyone
> > g.. Keep private messages private, don't post to the group as well.
> > there is also a comprehensive guide to netiquette at
> > http://www.albion.com/netiquette/
> >

> This sounds good, except it violates the desire to 'keep it short'. And
> I wouldn't be surprised to see a long list of 'you forgot ...' items.

<fair enough >

> If we are serious about this, then there should be a backup or
> alternate. Don't pin this on one person!
>

> > > - actual content of the post
> > > - format of the post
> > > - frequency of the post
> > > - and, of course, typos
> > >
> > > This RFD initiated by Hans Forbrich
> > >
> > > (Comparable RFDs for comp.database.oracle, comp.database.oracle.tools,
> > > comp.database.oracle.server and comp.database.oracle.marketplace to be
> > > released within the next 2 days.)
> >
> > Isn't comp.databases.oracle supposed to be dead?
>
> Yes. And if you look at the RFD for that group, you will see that
> emphasized.

Ah. I can't get c.d.o its dead and not carried by my isp :(.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA