Re: Periodic FAQ & Charter post

From: Hans Forbrich <hans4321_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:09:19 GMT

comments embedded (as well)

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> comments embedded

> > Subject: News group Charter and brief FAQ
> >
> > Charter: (Based on formal RFC vote, as of December 1996)

  <snip>
> > be directed to comp.databases.oracle.marketplace (unless it is not
> > created by the CFV).
>
> remove "unless it is not created by the CFV" it has been.

Good point .... so much for 'cut & paste' without thinking.

> > For more information, refer to http://www.orafaq.com/usenet/charter3.htm
> > --------
> > Netiquette & News group FAQ:
> >
> > 1) Alternate sources
> >
> > Readers are encouraged to do their own research and to use alternate
> > related resources before posting a question. Common sources:
> >
> > From Oracle -
> >
> > General product information at OTN: http://otn.oracle.com
> > Code examples: OTN >> Code Samples
> > Installation examples: Code Samples >> Oracle By Example
> > All Documentation: http://docs.oracle.com
> > Error messages lookup: Documentation
>
> http://tahiti.oracle.com has searchable error messages (and docs) I'd
> certainly want t in the error message lookup if not in the docs link.
> OTN requires free registration.

I'm not sure where Oracle stands on the tahiti site. I get the imporession it was the predecessor to the current, and seemingly more formal, docs site.

'docs.oracle.com' is a redirected alias to same page as the documentation icon at the top of every OTN page.

It seems that tahiti & docs are really alternate access points to the same stuff. Click on any link from tahiti and you get to the same page as clicking through the product/version >> 'view documentation' link from docs.

(I prefer docs - 2 characters shorter than tahiti <g>).

> > Other -
> >
> > General Oracle FAQ: http://orafaq.com
>
> The Oracle Users Co-Operative FAQ :
> The archives of this newsgroup:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.databases.oracle.misc (replace
> misc as appropriate for the other groups)

During the discussion that led to this RFD, there was a definite indication to keep it very, very short! I am very unhappy with the content as I would have preferred the goal of 15 lines that I think someone mentioned.

IIRC, the orafaq includes pointers to all of these.

Discussion?

> > 2) Posting Guidelines

  <snip>

> > 5) Netiquette
> >
> > Users are encouraged to follow Netiquette guidelines as described in
> > Virginia Shea's online book 'Netiquette', online version available at
> > http://www.albion.com/netiquette/book/index.html
>
> I can't see anyone reading it all, and I'm not sure that promoting the
> targeted flame is helpful given that some of us regulars come across as
> arrogant and unhelpful anyway. How does the following sound as an
> alternative?
>
> A large number of people read this newsgroup therefore
> a.. It is always a good idea to read what others in the list or group are
> saying for a while, to get a feel for the nature of the list/group, and what
> is or is not acceptable to the list/group.
> b.. Be aware that your postings are archived - for example at
> http://groups.google.com , and the archives are available for a very long
> time. Don't say anything that might come back and haunt you years down the
> track.
> c.. Messages should be both concise and relevant to the group.
> d.. Spelling mistakes tend to be the rule rather than the exception.
> Questioning someone else's spelling is not good netiquette, and not
> necessary unless it occurs in a critical place, like a possibly mis-spelt
> URL. Remember that not everyone is a native speaker of your mother tongue.
> e.. Don't get involved in or respond to Flame Wars.
> f.. If you find a posting offensive, avoid it. Sending harassing messages
> to the group doesn't help anyone
> g.. Keep private messages private, don't post to the group as well.
> there is also a comprehensive guide to netiquette at
> http://www.albion.com/netiquette/

This sounds good, except it violates the desire to 'keep it short'. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a long list of 'you forgot ...' items.

> > << end of proposed content <<
> >
> > Discussion to be closed on December 24, 2003, followed by a formal call
> > for Votes.
> >
> > Discussion topics to include:
> >
> > - volunteer individual or organization responsible for maintaining and
> > delivering this posting
>
> looks like Mark has made the mistake of volunteering for this :(

I want to take up Mark on his offer, but ... this is time for discussion. Nothing is decided until vote.

If we are serious about this, then there should be a backup or alternate. Don't pin this on one person!

> > - actual content of the post
> > - format of the post
> > - frequency of the post
> > - and, of course, typos
> >
> > This RFD initiated by Hans Forbrich
> >
> > (Comparable RFDs for comp.database.oracle, comp.database.oracle.tools,
> > comp.database.oracle.server and comp.database.oracle.marketplace to be
> > released within the next 2 days.)
>
> Isn't comp.databases.oracle supposed to be dead?

Yes. And if you look at the RFD for that group, you will see that emphasized.

[unfortunately] Each group gets it's own!?!

> Overall this is an excellent contribution Hans. The only other reservation
> that I have is that both Jonathan and orafaq.com periodically but
> irregularly post FAQs to these groups. It may be that we are covering the
> same ground again, and that actually folk don't read FAQs anyway.

Thanks for the comment (& complement).

As discussed in the past 2-3 weeks, apparently some have felt this is required. I have already indicated my preference in previous discussions (no periodic post).

Also, part of this is to determine frequency (if any), content & length of content. I wonder whether Jonathan and orafaq.com are trying to accomplish something different than this. (I'm not even 100% sure what the purpose/objective of this post should be!) Received on Fri Nov 28 2003 - 04:09:19 CST