Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:11:44 +0100

Volker Hetzer wrote:

> "Frank" <fbortel_at_nescape.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bq7a4f$itk$1_at_news1.tilbu1.nb.home.nl...
>

>>Volker Hetzer wrote:

>>>But look, who prevents the developer from using java stored procedures
>>>in the db if he wants to use java? That's no reason to do an app server!
>>>
>>>Greetings!
>>>Volker
>>
>>SQL Server has Java in the db? Since when.

> It doesn't? Well, it's microsoft after all...
> One more reason not to have anything to do with it.
>

>>And Orace seems to have plans to remove it from the db.

> Just had a short look, didn't see anything about it. Where
> did you get it from?
>
> Back to topic, so your sole motivation is to use some server
> to get around portability problems? In that case you've got
> two solutions:
> - Mysql. Get it for your platform and you're done. Fast,
> reliable, supports replication, etc.
> - I'm not sure but I think, for portability problems there ought
> to exist much slimmer solutions than a full blown appserver.
>
> Greetings!
> Volker

We're losing the subject here - it's about commercial thinking and opportunities.
There's a request to support SS2k as well as Oracle. There's also a request to support the app as a web based app. s/request/demand/g

Let me put it another way: how would you propose to do it? No MySql by default - SS2K and O9i, too!

And an app server is just that, be it 9iAS, TomCat or BEA - where does the "full blown" come in?

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel