Re: Best OS for subscription to 9i (Windows expert; Linux neophyte)

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:54:44 -0800

Fred Zimmerman wrote:

>I am going to pay the $199 for 12 month CD subscription for 9i
>database and associated packages/software.
>
>I'm considering purchasing the Linux version (I have both Windows
>NT/2K/XP, and RedHat 7.1 at home; Win and Linux on separate machines).
>
>As I'm learning Red Hat, should I take the huge plunge of installing
>Oracle 9i database on this OS, or go with what I know best: Windows.
>
>I was thinking it might be a good way to both learn 9i, and Linux
>simultaneously. I know many companies are making change to Linux for
>enterprise database applications, and web servers.
>
>(I am a Oracle newbie as well.)
>
>Any experiences appreciated.
>
>F.Z. - Boston MA

Once Oracle is installed the differences between Oracle on Windows and Oracle on Linux
are 'zero' except with respect to administrative tasks. If you don't know Linux I'd suggest
your initial installation be on Windows. Then, after you are more comfortable with Linux,
read the Oracle on Linux installation documents, be sure you understand what is required for
the install ... and then install on Linux. An Oracle installation is no place to get your first
experience with vi and changing kernel parameters.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu