Re: Database Creation

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:51:49 -0800

Olivier wrote:

>It is now a full week that I am trying to install and create a database
>without any success.
>
>I believe I have read all there was to read on the web and news group about
>oracle problems but I think I am missing something.
>
>Yes I use a Pentium 4 with windows 2000 and need to install Oracle 8i v8.1.7
>from a CD.
>

>How do we clean the PC of all unsuccessful install?
>
>How do we get rid of the JAVA bug?
>
>How do we create a successful database?
>

>Every time I try to create this database I end up with the error
>
>ORA-12631 Username retrieval failed
>
>This is what I have done:
>
>To enable tracing at the server, find the sqlnet.ora file for the server and
>add the following lines:
>
>TRACE_LEVEL_SERVER = 16
>
>TRACE_UNIQUE_SERVER = ON
>
>To enable tracing at the client, find the sqlnet.ora file for the client and
>add the following lines:
>
>TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = 16
>
>TRACE_UNIQUE_CLIENT = ON
>
>To enable tracing at the listener, find the listener.ora file and add the
>following line:
>
>TRACE_LEVEL_listener_name = 16
>
>Reproduce the problem, so that you generate traces on the client and server.
>Now analyze the traces generated.
>

>I have modified these files and reproduced the problem but how do we analyse
>the traces generated and what do we do about it.
>

>Thank You so much.
>
>Olivier

When you say you've read "everything" it would be nice to know what "everything" means
because you've clearly not been to http://docs.oracle.com or, it seems, read the installation
instructions on the CD.

To into the Control Panel / Services and stop and disasble all Oracle services.
To remove everything go to \oracle\ora81\bin and run oradim.exe. If you run it without parameters
(from the DOS prompt) it will give you the syntax for deleting the Oracle services ... do so.

Then remove the directory \oracle and all subdirectories

Then reboot the machine. If any file doesn't remove reboot until it does.

Then remove the directory \PROGRAM FILES\oracle and all subdirectories.

Then go into the registry (very carefully) and remove everything under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE Before your reinstall go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and look up the Pentium 4 bug and the workaround

own database after you have a solid install and more familiarity with the software.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu