Re: Best OS for subscription to 9i (Windows expert; Linux neophyte)

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:02:38 +0100

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Fred Zimmerman wrote:
>

>> I am going to pay the $199 for 12 month CD subscription for 9i
>> database and associated packages/software.
>>
>> I'm considering purchasing the Linux version (I have both Windows
>> NT/2K/XP, and RedHat 7.1 at home; Win and Linux on separate machines).
>>
>> As I'm learning Red Hat, should I take the huge plunge of installing
>> Oracle 9i database on this OS, or go with what I know best: Windows.
>>
>> I was thinking it might be a good way to both learn 9i, and Linux
>> simultaneously. I know many companies are making change to Linux for
>> enterprise database applications, and web servers.
>>
>> (I am a Oracle newbie as well.)
>>
>> Any experiences appreciated.
>>
>> F.Z. - Boston MA
>>

> Once Oracle is installed
[Big Snip!]
But there you have a major difference!
Did you manage to get 9iAS Rel2 installed on your RH9 system? I gave up after about 2 weeks.
On Windows, it installs within a day.

Similar for db - it just doesn't install flawlessy on Linux (unless you pay $$$ for the supported version), where it does in Windows.

To use the words you so often use: it depends. If you want to learn all kinds of Oracle stuff, stay Windoze (G, never thought I'd admit that!). For fun, start by talking your db to Linux, take it from there.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel