Re: Ugh! .pdf's require Winblows!

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:53:16 GMT

Not sure why you have a problem - possibly poor install or too many restrictions around your environment.

In any case, I do not see the browser symptoms you notice about when using KDE 3.1.1/Konquorer or Mozilla 1.2.1 running on SuSE 8.2, SLES 8 and UnitedLinux 1.0 I conclude that Oracle's web developers are doing a reasonable job as I have not had ANY problem. Perhaps an operator issue?

Also there seems to be some confusion on your side about the need for Oracle to release documetation in a format acceptable to you. Whether your version of xpdf works with the set of features that may be made available by a PDF generating software is your problem, not Oracle's ... as far as I know, pdf is not a public domain standard and (again ASAIK) Adobe does have permission (being the owner of the standard) to make any changes they want - I do know that Oracle generally uses Adobe products to create pdf files.

Finally, you refer to a 'standard Red Hat' install - perhaps you should contact Red Hat to review what they include in the 'standard' install (assuming you have paid support). Again, it seems this is not an Oracle issue.

I conclude you have moved from publically complaining about something that has no real business being in public (it's between you, your school and Oracle - totally custom, one off and non-standard) to pure and simple whining.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers
/Hans