Re: Ugh! .pdf's require Winblows!

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 30 Sep 2003 23:38:32 -0700

bgeer <bgeer_at_xmission.com> wrote :

> I tried updating Acroreader on a Win98se laptop but the installer
> wouldn't run unless I updated to IE6. That is not a 5 minute job!!!
> I couldn't even find an installable version of IE6 on MS web site -
> only an installer that required Internet connectivity to complete.

That is a Microsoft Windows issue. It has *nothing* to do with Oracle selecting to use the PDF format.

Besides, you *did* mention Linux in your original posting. And that *is* a 5 minute install (which includes the download of the tarball from Adobe's website). And yeah - I actually did it all over again (the download and install) on my Linux box to make sure I'm not talking bull.

> >> For a company that's *supposedly* focusing Linux, I say,
> >> "NOT DOING A VERY GOOD JOB!!!"
>
> >Error. Invalid rant.
>
> Nawww...valid observation. I mean, how hard is it to make .pdf's that
> are viewable? The Intro to SQL & DBA Fund I .pdf's were viewable -
> so why not DBA Fund II??? At a minimum it's inconsistent...

The point is that the PDF's *are* viewable. The problem is you not being happy about installing the latest Acrobat Reader and insisting on using an old one that does not work. Period.

--
Billy