Re: Ugh! .pdf's require Winblows!

From: bgeer <bgeer_at_xmission.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:51:30 +0000 (UTC)

vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) writes:

>bgeer <bgeer_at_xmission.com> wrote :
>>
>> I tried updating Acroreader on a Win98se laptop but the installer
>> wouldn't run unless I updated to IE6. That is not a 5 minute job!!!
>> I couldn't even find an installable version of IE6 on MS web site -
>> only an installer that required Internet connectivity to complete.

>That is a Microsoft Windows issue. It has *nothing* to do with Oracle
>selecting to use the PDF format.

Acroreader refusing to install from legitimate [not pirated!] Acrobat cdrom unless some specific version of IE is present is an Adobe issue. & a stupid requirement!

>Besides, you *did* mention Linux in your original posting. And that
>*is* a 5 minute install (which includes the download of the tarball
>from Adobe's website). And yeah - I actually did it all over again
>(the download and install) on my Linux box to make sure I'm not
>talking bull.

I was unaware of acroreader being available for Linux until a prior post in this thread. Downloadeding 9+ megabytes over a modem [that's what I have, still a common connection method...:-] & installing in 5 minutes? I don' theenk so.

Besides, since I had a Win computer & a cdrom with acroreader6 for win, I shouldn't have had to download anything.

>> >Error. Invalid rant.
>>
>> Nawww...valid observation. I mean, how hard is it to make .pdf's that
>> are viewable? The Intro to SQL & DBA Fund I .pdf's were viewable -
>> so why not DBA Fund II??? At a minimum it's inconsistent...

>The point is that the PDF's *are* viewable. The problem is you not
>being happy about installing the latest Acrobat Reader and insisting
>on using an old one that does not work. Period.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to know why a) acroreader install should require an IE update & b) 1 particular set of .pdf's have this peculiar formatting anomaly.

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | 	  ||||      We sure       ||||    <>
<>    bgeer_at_xmission.com     | 	==    ==    find it     ==    ==  <>