Re: Ugh! .pdf's require Winblows!

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1 Oct 2003 22:29:45 -0700

bgeer <bgeer_at_xmission.com> wrote

> >That is a Microsoft Windows issue. It has *nothing* to do with Oracle
> >selecting to use the PDF format.
>
> Acroreader refusing to install from legitimate [not pirated!] Acrobat
> cdrom unless some specific version of IE is present is an Adobe
> issue. & a stupid requirement!

Again. So what. It is a Microsoft issue. It has nothing to do with Oracle. Nothing to do with comp.databases.oracle.misc.

And the reason for IE is likely because it uses the new installation format and the required installation DLLs ship with IE. Even then it is your problem for wanting to run *new* software on an *old* operating system - yeah, Win98 is an very old o/s.

> >Besides, you *did* mention Linux in your original posting. And that
> >*is* a 5 minute install (which includes the download of the tarball
> >from Adobe's website). And yeah - I actually did it all over again
> >(the download and install) on my Linux box to make sure I'm not
> >talking bull.
>
> I was unaware of acroreader being available for Linux until a prior
> post in this thread. Downloadeding 9+ megabytes over a modem [that's
> what I have, still a common connection method...:-] & installing in 5
> minutes? I don' theenk so.

Fine. So you have a modem. Again- that is *your* problem. Not Oracle's. Nor Microsoft's. Nor this newsgroup.

Installation itself is far less than 5 minutes. You untar the file linux-508.tar.gz. You run INSTALL. That's it.

> Besides, since I had a Win computer & a cdrom with acroreader6 for
> win, I shouldn't have had to download anything.

Go and complain in one of the Microsoft public newsgroups then about how your old o/s needs to be updated to install new software.

For the last time - *nothing* you have raised in this thread has *anything* to do with Oracle or Oracle's support for Linux.

Your ranting is based on ignorance.

--
Billy