Backing up whole db

From: Can Oezdemir <no_at_spam.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 20:24:36 +0200

Hello,

I'd like to ask which backup method you would prefer, if I just wanted to backup an entire oracle 9i database, in order to restore it afterwards, on a new Windows XP installation.
My suggestion would be to use RMAN and do a backup of all necessary tablespaces (...of course, also the system tablespace, otherwise the table definitions would be gone...).
Is it more appropriate to use the Export/Import utiliy in this case? Because this utility is saving table definitions, either....

Would be nice, if someone would give me a hint which method is more prudent one for my purpose.

Thanks in advance,

                                Can

Can...
http://pdf.natune.net