Re: Backing up whole db

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 00:25:06 GMT

Can Oezdemir wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask which backup method you would prefer, if I just wanted to
> backup an entire oracle 9i database, in order to restore it afterwards, on a
> new Windows XP installation.
> My suggestion would be to use RMAN and do a backup of all necessary
> tablespaces (...of course, also the system tablespace, otherwise the table
> definitions would be gone...).
> Is it more appropriate to use the Export/Import utiliy in this case? Because
> this utility is saving table definitions, either....
>
> Would be nice, if someone would give me a hint which method is more prudent
> one for my purpose.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Can

You might find the "Backup and Recovery Concepts" manual fascinating (and relevant) reading. It can be found at http://docs.oracle.com (fairly direct link for the 9i8R2 version is
http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.docindex?remark=homepage)

One BIG advantage of reading that manual - it also tells you what to do with the backup when you need recovery. Reading this ahead of time generally avoids drycleaning bills (for pant stains) when informed that a recovery is required.

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]