Re: thank you all!!

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 16:55:17 GMT

tk wrote:

> So question then: If Oracle is free to download/develop, I guess the
> monetary issue then occurs at the point where you need
> to deploy an application using Oracle? Pardon my stupidity on that. I am
> NOT a DBA nor do I know much about the
> administrative aspects of Oracle. I've just simply worked at jobs where we
> use Oracle as our database and I connect to the DB
> using the JDBC/ODBC drivers...

No stupidity involved......

Regardless of what we might say, the license agreement is a legal document (that you accept) that overrides any/all of our opinions. I suggest you read/review the agreement carefully as it does define when/how you may use the software.

I like to look at it this way: Suppose Oracle's lawyers said 'since you do not have a paid license, turn off the product for 30 days'. If this would impact your revenue stream, you would really want to have that license paid up.

> I have to admit, these packages are kind of fun!!! I have alot to learn
> but I am thankful I have experience with Sybase Transact-SQL
> and Informix-4GL so I am seeing alot of similarity so the learning curve of
> the language is not significant. I know the biggest learning
> curve comes with the knowledge of optimizing queries/hints and trying to
> understand all of the built-in packages, etc...

Have you started exploring the OTN Sample Code & Oracle By Example tutorials?

When you are ready, you might want to ask the newsgroup for recommendations on documents and books over and above the free docco at http://docs.oracle.com (aka Tahiti and http://otn.oracle.com >> Documentation) Received on Sat Aug 02 2003 - 11:55:17 CDT