thank you all!!

From: tk <theronk_at_charter.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 10:30:40 -0600

I knew Oracle people are good people :-) I work with some Oracle geniouses and they're extremely helpful...

Thanks for the help in pointing me in the right direction to start learning this PL/SQL...

I am SO damn stupid for *not* knowing that I could have downloaded Oracle on my home PC as well as Toad earlier.

I *always* thought you had to purchase it first which was why I figured I could never learn PL/SQL hands on unless I was at a particular company who had Oracle. God am I stupid!!! Oh well. Better late then never.

So question then: If Oracle is free to download/develop, I guess the monetary issue then occurs at the point where you need to deploy an application using Oracle? Pardon my stupidity on that. I am NOT a DBA nor do I know much about the
administrative aspects of Oracle. I've just simply worked at jobs where we use Oracle as our database and I connect to the DB using the JDBC/ODBC drivers...

I have to admit, these packages are kind of fun!!! I have alot to learn but I am thankful I have experience with Sybase Transact-SQL and Informix-4GL so I am seeing alot of similarity so the learning curve of the language is not significant. I know the biggest learning curve comes with the knowledge of optimizing queries/hints and trying to understand all of the built-in packages, etc... Received on Sat Aug 02 2003 - 11:30:40 CDT