Re: hanging select statements

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 18:44:56 +0200

On 2 Aug 2003 08:44:31 -0700, rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote:

>I have a package that users dbms_jobs to execute a bunch of processes
>in parallel. I log these events to a log table that inserts and
>updates with an autonomous transaction then commits. If an exception
>occurs it still commits;
>
>I try to select from this table and my select statement 'hangs';
>
>It only has like 50 records.
>
>Im doing a 'select *'. There are no select for update clauses and no
>lock table commands.
>
>what could be blocking my select statement? All im doing is inserting
>and updating on the table.

If your query conducts a full table scan, it will always read until it reaches the High Water Mark, regardless the number of records.

Other than that of course you can enable event 10046 for the session, and check out either using the trace or the v$ tables, *WHAT* your session is waiting for.
v$session_event should be able to provide info.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Aug 02 2003 - 11:44:56 CDT