Re: Which is faster? <> or Between

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 10:57:46 -0700

Ray Porter wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Now if you don't have CREATE TABLE that could be a problem. But if you
> don't
> > have CREATE TABLE you aren't a developer.
>
> I don't want to get involved in the merits of this thread but this last
> statement is not necessarily true, Daniel. We've already discussed off-list
> some of the oddities of how Oracle is being administered here (and thanks
> for your help) but, in general, developers don't have CREATE TABLE in
> development, test or production. The DBAs have to do it all in all
> environments. Part of the reason is micromanagement by state auditors and
> part is that most of our DBAs come from a mainframe/IDMS environment and
> they prefer to manage Oracle the same way they manage IDMS where developers
> never had the authority to modify existing database structure in any
> environment.
>
> Ray Porter

You can't have it both ways.

If explain plans are a necessessity for development, and I would argue that they are. Then it is someone's
responsibility to create the plan table and make it available to the developers. Who creates the table and
grants the privileges is irrelevant.

The same holds true in test and production environments. If you are in a situation where, as a developer,
you have a DBA that refuses to cooperate, and management that refuses to enforce good business practices
then don't whine ... find another job and walk out the door.

I have, for years, refused to take on any Oracle project without, during the interview process, assuring myself
that the tools to do the job correctly were available. If they won't let me have plan table, dbms_profiler, access
to dba_ and v_$ views, etc. they can find someone that thinks mediocrity is acceptable. But they won't find me
sitting behind a desk in their facility. Anyone that will is like an attorney willing to practice law without having a copy of the requisite case law for the jurisdiction ... or a surgeon willing to operate with demanding a sterile
facility.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu