Re: Advantages/disadvantages of having tables within 'SYSTEM' TS

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:05:22 -0700

Vinu Neelakandhan wrote:

> Hello all :
>
> Can someone tell me the disadvantages (or advantages, if any) of creating
> user tables within the default SYSTEM tablespace?
>
> I understand that it is ideal to have user's own tablespaces (rather than
> creating within SYSTEM, where the DD etc are being kept), but would like to
> know the actual disadvantages of doing within SYSTEM. Does it impact the
> performance? Or, does it impact anything else?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Vinu

If you create tables in the system tablespace you will have demonstrated a clear lack of one of the following two:

  1. Having read Oracle documentation and just about every bit of advice on the planet
  2. A complete disregard for what you've read

What it impacts is your ability to keep, manage, and secure a stable environment.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu