Re: Which is faster? <> or Between

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 10:52:56 -0700

Paul Dixon wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Paul Dixon wrote:
> >
> > > "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Daniel,
> > >
> > > that's not strictly true. To run EXPLAIN PLAN a user must have the
> necessary
> > > priveleges to either access an existing "PLAN TABLE" or to create one of
> > > thier own. These priveleges aren't automatically granted to every user
> !!
> > >
> > > Paul Dixon
> >
> > Necessary privileges? What privileges? There is no privilege associated
> with
> > EXPLAIN PLAN.
> >
> > Now if you don't have CREATE TABLE that could be a problem. But if you
> don't
> > have CREATE TABLE you aren't a developer.

> Daniel,
>

> not "everyone" is a developer or dba, and I certainly wouldn't expect a
> developer to automatically have CREATE TABLE priveleges on a production
> system either. So unless a user has CREATE TABLE privs with a non zero quota
> on a tablespace, or has been granted SELECT, INSERT etc on a PLAN TABLE
> owned by another user, then they just can't perform an EXPLAIN PLAN on a
> query.
>

> So why would an "ordinary" non privileged user need to perform an EXPLAIN
> PLAN ? Shouldn't we just leave all query tuning on the production system to
> the DBA's ? Well maybe thats OK for an OLTP system where all of the
> potential queries should have been checked out prior to deployment, but
> that's probably not the case in a multi terrabyte data warehouse
> environment.!!

> Paul Dixon

I can't believe this thread is continuing.

No developer should ever have privileges to create anything on in a production database. In production
the database is owned by the production DBA who will either create the plan table or suffer the slings
and arrows of outraged management and users.

You can't have it both ways. You can't claim that the production DBA can't create the table so what's the point
of your argument? The question is merely one of who runs the EXPLAIN PLANs and I think a DBA that can't,
or won't, should be unemployed.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu