Re: Column name to lowercase?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2003 09:46:47 -0800

Andreas Schlegel <schlegelaw_at_epost.de> wrote in message news:<3E478718.9040701_at_epost.de>...
> Hi,
>
> looking for a solution to set Orcale default for column names from
> uppercase to lowercase.
>
> Of course, I may Oracle to accept lower-case names for tables and
> columns by using double-quotes. But that causes a problem with the
> Oracle data dictionary. Every time I reference this columns I have to
> use the double-quotes.
>
> So my question is: is there any other change to let Oracle run with
> lowercase column names?
>
> I am using Oracle 8.1.7
>
> Greetings,
> Andreas

There is no parameter to change the Oracle default of converting object names to upper case when storing them in the dictionary except to double quote the names. However, since the only time you need to worry about case when referencing an Oracle object is when querying the dictionary using the name, why is this a problem? Normal DML and Queries are keyword case insensitive. Only values are case sensitive and on those you can use upper and lower functions.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Feb 10 2003 - 11:46:47 CST