Re: Jserver - Future

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_nospam.une.edu.au>
Date: 11 Oct 2002 10:22:28 +1000

"dmz17" <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:25:38 +0200, Nicolas Bronke wrote:
>
> > We have an Application which is using TomCat and Apache with an Oracle 8.1.7
> > database. To find out the best combination we checked now the Oracle
> > JServer. But we found out, that this is only spporting Java 2.0 (we are
> > using higher) and also that the project is stopped and Tomcat or else are
> > recommended?
> >
> > Does that really mean, that Oracle has not such thing itself as a
> > replacement for Tomcat?
> >
> JServer is the java in the database thing. Should not be used for
> things you'd use Tomcat for.
>
> To get the Oracle equivalent, or better (!), look for OC4J,
> Oracle Containers for Java. They are a web server and J2EE container
> package and can be downloaded from otn.oracle.com as is or as
> part of Oracle 9iApplication Server.

Sorry, but I think you might be confused here. JServ is a java servlet engine - it has nothing to do with Oracle or even databases. In fact, JServ and Tomcat are very similar as they are both Java servlet engines (though I believe tomcat is also its own web server - I've not used tomcat myself, I just know that when I started doing servlets some years back, the two choices were JServ and Tomcat)

I think the original posters question is very valid and have wondered about it myself. I suspect Oracle chose JServ because it was an Apache module and the Apache/Jserv combination has better licencing terms than tomcat - plus there is the whole mod_plsql issue which makes Apache a preferred server. I myself wonder what the situation will be with respect to Oracle's use of JServ as the project does appear to be dead and JServ is a fair bit behind with respect to the versions of Java it will work with and later versions of Java have considerable advantages of earlier ones.

Tim Received on Thu Oct 10 2002 - 19:22:28 CDT