Re: Jserver - Future

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:43:49 +0200

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:25:38 +0200, Nicolas Bronke wrote:

> We have an Application which is using TomCat and Apache with an Oracle 8.1.7
> database. To find out the best combination we checked now the Oracle
> JServer. But we found out, that this is only spporting Java 2.0 (we are
> using higher) and also that the project is stopped and Tomcat or else are
> recommended?
>
> Does that really mean, that Oracle has not such thing itself as a
> replacement for Tomcat?
>
> Thanks for any hints.
>
> Regards
>
> Nicolas

Excuse me. OP talked about JServer, which is Java in the database. period.

I do know what jserv is, it is an entirely different animal.

Oracle has switched to OC4J almost 18 months ago.

The 'new jserv' is mod_oc4j which attaches to OHS, which is Oracle Http Server (thusly named, because it cannot legally be named 'Apache'. However, it *IS* Apache.

I believe mod_oc4j does in fact use the aj protocol.

Oracle Application Server 9i IS based on Apache. The Java thing is OC4J, a complete, compliant, certified, J2EE stack.

Anyone developing a J2EE application adhering to standards will be able to port their application to Oracle by simply supplying the ear file.

I have personally helped port 4 applications, one from IBM Websphere, one from BEA, and two from tomcat.

Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Fri Oct 11 2002 - 09:43:49 CDT