Re: Install 8.1.7 on linux

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_nospam.une.edu.au>
Date: 11 Oct 2002 10:12:12 +1000

taich_at_gmx.at (Thomas Aichinger) writes:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to install oracle 8.1.7 on my linux box
> (suse 7.3 with 2.4.18 kernel).
>
> I read all available howto's, but I am stuck - pease help me.
>
> When I start to runInstaller as a oracle user I get the folloing output
> and thats all. What am I doing wrong?
>

> oracle_at_coconut:/usr/src/oracle-8.1.7> ./runInstaller
> oracle_at_coconut:/usr/src/oracle-8.1.7> Initializing Java Virtual Machine from ../
> stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin/jre. Please
> wait...
> SIGSEGV received at bfffd728 in /usr/src/oracle-8.1.7/stage/Components/oracle.sw
> d.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/lib/linux/native_threads/libjava.so. Proc
> essing terminated
> Thu Oct 10 20:02:04 2002

From memory I had a similar problem installing on a Debian box. In my case I managed to track it down to the LANG setting of my environment - it seems the Oracle installer does not like a lang setting of anything other than C or en_US - in my case, I had my LANG set to en_AU and the installer would just bomb out with a similar message to the one you are getting (it was 12 months ago and I can't remember for sure).

My solution was to set LANG=C for the install and all ran correctly.

Another possible problem is your java CLASSPATH - from memory, I don't htink it was necessary to add anything to the java classpath before the installation - only afterwards when configuring the databases for java etc. I'm pretty certain the problem you are getting is a java problem rather than an oracle one. Maybe if setting the LANG environment variable to C does not help, you may get some success by first getting java working with some test/simple java program and go from there.

Tim Received on Thu Oct 10 2002 - 19:12:12 CDT