Re: Problems Connecting With TOra 1.2.3

From: Dietmar Samide <secretsquirrel_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:20:19 +0200

Hi,

Robert Tilley wrote:

> How do I start the database? I did do a 'lsnrctl start' and a lot a
> seemingly good things were printed to the screen. This is the second time
> I issued the command:
>
> oracle_at_tillarium:~$ lsnrctl start
>
> LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on 26-JUN-2002 20:22:08
>
> (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> TNS-01106: Listener using listener name LISTENER has already been started

First of all you have to start the database. This could be done at system startup with an entry in your /etc/rc.init scripts, Oracle offers a dbstart and dbshut script located in $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory, or you can issue the command 'svrmgrl' then type in 'connect internal' and then 'startup' which starts an oracle instance and the database ('shutdown immediate' will shutdown the database).

After that you have to start the listener with the command 'lsnrctl start'. Issuing the command 'lsnrctl status' shows you information about the listener.

If something goes wrong (perhaps not set oracle environment variables correct, or wrong SHMMAX settings in your kernel, wrong owner and group permissions, and so on ... ) you will get error messages.

Hope that helps a little bit,

Dietmar Received on Thu Jun 27 2002 - 09:20:19 CDT