Re: Problems Connecting With TOra 1.2.3

From: Robert Tilley <tilleyrw_at_cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:59:51 GMT

Marek wrote:

> Robert Tilley <tilleyrw_at_cfl.rr.com> wrote in
>

>> I've completely installed Oracle 8i on my Debian Linux box.  However,
>> trying to connect to my database with TOra 1.2.3 results in an
>> "ORA-12541: TNS: No Listener" error.
>>
>> Can a more experienced user help me to learn what this means and how to
>> solve it?

> Robert,
>
> In order to connect Oracle server from another machine you have to launch
> TNS Listener on the server. Possible cases:
>
> - you didn't run it at all: visit your $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory and run
> lsnrctl program with option "start"
>
> - you perrform start database and listener during machine startup but
> listener started before database was available: you need to make sure
> listener always starts after database is available.
>
> - you have some network problems on the client machine - perhaps firewall
> blocking communication on port 1521 ?
>
> Marek

How do I start the database? I did do a 'lsnrctl start' and a lot a seemingly good things were printed to the screen. This is the second time I issued the command:

oracle_at_tillarium:~$ lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on 26-JUN-2002 20:22:08

(c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

TNS-01106: Listener using listener name LISTENER has already been started

All my ORACLE use at the moment will be on the same machine (no remote connections). When I attempt to start a TOra connection to my HOME database, the following dialog pops up:

        Unable to connect to the database.

        ORA-01034: ORACLE not available.
        ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
        Linux Error: 2 No such file or directory

If anyony can help clue me in on this situation, it would be much appreciated. All I want is a simple SQL*PLUS window that I can use to interact with the database.

--
Information and comments are appreciated.

Robert