Re: oracle is better?

From: William Evans <william.evans_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:07:51 +0000

ZUSCH wrote:

> My company is in a quandry between Oracle + SQL Server 7. Our main fear is
> that SQL will not be able to hold the amount of data we wish to store (all-text
> records, an upwards of 500,000 rows) Also, can anyone explain why Oracle is SO
> MUCH more expensive than SQL? Microsofts answer was that it is "their
> mentality to want the small business to have access to this technology). Can
> anyone comment to the contrary? Please o please. reply to:
> kmorris_at_goplanet.com

Having worked for a while with SQL, IIS and ASP (3-5 years), and very recently got involved in Oracle and Java, I really like the way that Oracle is going. The ability to write stored procedures in Java sounds to me great. I am not sure how it will turn out in practice though. Try doing anything remotely complex in Transact SQL and you will see what I mean.

I have started using a combination of JSP, Java Servlets, Java Beans together with Oracle as the backend (EJB and java stored procedures) (though I can't get ejb in Oracle working at the moment, but probably due to my inexperience). And what I have seen with this combination beats the pants off using VB/VBScript, ASP, IIS, COM and SQL 7.0. Regarding the choice of DB, I think that some of the previous posts hits it on the head, at the high end Oracle is your better choice.

I we consider everything from web server to distributed components to db, then I think that the combination I spoke of above appears to be the better option so in the end if you want to use that environment you are better off NOT using SQL since I think that vendor support for Java is important. You don't have to use oracle to get the benifit of Java and EJB etc, but I don't think that you should be using MS SQL if that is the way you want to go. And I think all but the most micky mouse of products need a decent language as the starting point. I think java is a very good development language. While not quite pure object oriented it is not that difficult to learn and better than hacking in VBScript (asp) or VB for that matter.

My 2 cents.

William Received on Mon Nov 29 1999 - 14:07:51 CST