Re: Oracle Myth 1: What can be done in SQLPLUS, should be able to do in OCI.

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:20:16 -0400

Philip S Zhan wrote:

> Oracle server is a vertical product which is intended to be feature rich
> and powerful. SQLPLUS is Oracle's in house toolset which is an integrated
> companion of Oracle server. OCI is a window which Oracle opens developers
> to access the rich and powerful features of Oracle server.
>
> Can some one clear out a little bit more about the differences? I have a
> strong feeling that Oracle server and the SQLPLUS tool are implemented
> using languages other than C/C++ (for example COBOL) because they treat
> ASCII characters differently.
>
> Phillip

Sqlplus is a tool. It is ONLY a tool. There is never a requirement to use this tool. If you don't like the way it works then use a different tool or write your own. It isn't particularly difficult. I wrote my own version a few years back using Pro-C and dynamic sql version 4. It didn't have all of thbe functinality that sqlplus has, but I added in some features that were adapted to my needs at the time which were not a part of what sqlplus could handle.

Once you've been around Oracle development for a while you'll finally come to the realization that the RDBMS is only just a means of storing data - how you insert, update, extract and manipulate that data is totally up to you. If the tools oracle provides are adequate for your needs then use them. Otherwise, don't. Received on Mon Oct 25 1999 - 07:20:16 CDT