Re: Oracle Myth 1: What can be done in SQLPLUS, should be able to do in OCI.

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:14:52 GMT

In article <7ut4sb$3e2$1_at_watserv3.uwaterloo.ca>,   szhan_at_calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Philip S Zhan) wrote:

> Oracle server is a vertical product which is intended to be feature
rich
> and powerful. SQLPLUS is Oracle's in house toolset which is an
integrated
> companion of Oracle server. OCI is a window which Oracle opens
developers
> to access the rich and powerful features of Oracle server.
>
> Can some one clear out a little bit more about the differences? I have
> strong feeling that Oracle server and the SQLPLUS tool are implemented
> using languages other than C/C++ (for example COBOL) because they
treat
> ASCII characters differently.
>
> Phillip

Other comments have already pointed out some of the differences: Oracle Server is the database and handles those issues SQLPLUS is a command line tool that allows use of SQL to access the database
OCI is a library of functions which enable access to the database from a programming language (be it C, FORTRAN, COBOL, ...)

Your comment about how Oracle treats strings reflects a common view among C programmers that:
 nul terminated strings are the only possible string data structure.

That view is a myth.

Learn to get over it and you'll be a better developer. (Not picking on you, Phillip, but I've seen so many program errors due to C programmers unwilling or unable to recognize the difference, that I just wanted to make the point. When these errors occur, they can create some nasty problems.)

Just consider this. A nul ('\0') is a valid ASCII character. ORACLE handles it fine, but C doesn't with out special consideration by the programmer.

I hope this helps.

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 25 1999 - 12:14:52 CDT