EMERGENCY! HELP!

From: Brian Howard <bh_at_creditwatch-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:30:33 GMT

I have a critical problem. I currently have twelve people sitting unable to work. Here is what happened. I had to totally duplicate a server and database from one server to another to split the database into two pieces. I bought a new server, installed A/UX on it, installed Oracle 7.0 on it and after many nights got it up and semi working. I copied relevant files over to the new server and made a full export on the old server's database. As I read in the manual, what I believe I needed to do is get the instance up and running, create all tablespaces and users and then import the full export. Everything was done: I got the instance to work and I created all tablespaces and users successfully; however, I noticed that the archive log destination in the initgte.ora was not being saved to a directory with adequate space. I changed the directory to a better location in the initgte.ora file but now when I try to log in as internal and issue the startup command to bring up the database, I get the following message:

SQLDBA> startup
reached here /users/oracle/logs/gte_
ORA-00256: error occurred in translating archive text string '/users/oracle/logs/gte_'
ORA-00270: error creating archive log
Macintosh A/UX Error: 13: Permission denied

It was working before I made this change in the log_archive_dest in the initgte.ora file.

This is the way those lines look now:
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST = /users/oracle/logs/gte_ LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT = %S.arc

Please help. This is critical. Thanks. Received on Mon Sep 20 1999 - 09:30:33 CDT