Re: EMERGENCY! HELP!

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:52:42 -0400

A copy of this was sent to Brian Howard <bh_at_creditwatch-inc.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:30:33 GMT, you wrote:

>I have a critical problem. I currently have twelve people sitting unable
>to work. Here is what happened. I had to totally duplicate a server and
>database from one server to another to split the database into two
>pieces. I bought a new server, installed A/UX on it, installed Oracle
>7.0 on it and after many nights got it up and semi working. I copied
>relevant files over to the new server and made a full export on the old
>server's database. As I read in the manual, what I believe I needed to
>do is get the instance up and running, create all tablespaces and users
>and then import the full export. Everything was done: I got the instance
>to work and I created all tablespaces and users successfully; however, I
>noticed that the archive log destination in the initgte.ora was not
>being saved to a directory with adequate space. I changed the directory
>to a better location in the initgte.ora file but now when I try to log
>in as internal and issue the startup command to bring up the database, I
>get the following message:
>
>SQLDBA> startup
>reached here /users/oracle/logs/gte_
>ORA-00256: error occurred in translating archive text string
>'/users/oracle/logs/gte_'
>ORA-00270: error creating archive log
>Macintosh A/UX Error: 13: Permission denied
>
>It was working before I made this change in the log_archive_dest in the
>initgte.ora file.
>
>This is the way those lines look now:
>LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST = /users/oracle/logs/gte_
>LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT = %S.arc
>
>Please help. This is critical. Thanks.

log_archive_dest = /users/oracle/logs/
log_archive_format = gte_%S.arc

Its looking for a directory named .../logs/gte_ and I'll bet you want to have arch write to /users/oracle/logs/ with files names gts_XXXX.arc right?

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Sep 20 1999 - 09:52:42 CDT