Re: Oracle 8.0.5 on Sparc Solaris 7?

From: Ben Branch <benson.branch_at_lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:08:02 -0400

Ben Branch wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've installed Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 (for
> Sun Sparc 2.x, the CD says) on a
> Solaris 7 machine. The installation
> was fine, but when I try to create
> a database, after allocating the
> tablespaces and whatnot, whenever
> I try to shut down the database or
> restart it, the svrmgrl just hangs.
> If I try to log into Oracle from
> another window via sqlplus, it
> will say that the database is
> in the process of going down/up.
> But it's stuck in that state for good.
>
> My question is, do I need a version
> of Oracle specific to Solaris 7, or
> am I dealing with a more ordinary
> type of problem?

A followup on this ...

A 'shutdown abort' will shut it down, but it won't come up again (it hangs after
printing the sga information). The only commands that work are 'startup nomount' and 'shutdown abort'.

Sometimes it hangs when I'm running in
administrative scripts for the database I'm trying to instantiate, such as

@ $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/pupbld.sql;

I've completely blown away and re-installed 8.0.5 on the Solaris 7 machine, but the problem remains.

If I run 'truss' on svrmgrl, it appears that it is waiting forever for a
response from the oracle server it
forked off.

BTW, I obtained an Oracle 8.1.5 (8i) CD, and it says 'for Solaris 2.6'. No mention of Solaris 7. Would it be worth a try??

Any suggestions, pointers, URLs, FAQs,
would be very, very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Ben