Re: Difference between YYYY and IYYY

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:27:34 -0400

This facetious response was emailed to Liam Caffrey at <379F21FF.262BF74A_at_nortelnetworks.deletethispart.com>...

Hi Liam,

    The answer is obvious -- IYYY (ISO standard years) are those that comply with the ISO standard. Of course, like me, you may wonder which years are standard, which are non-standard, what's the difference, and who cares. ;-)

    The difference, from what I recall, is that ISO standard years begin on the first day of the week containing (here is where I am not certain, but I refuse to let that stop me) either nothing but days in January or containing four or more days in the month of January.

    I believe this was done for the same reason that many organizations have internal calendars with 13 4-week months per year. It makes it easier to compare monthly results between years.

    Or maybe the majority of the members of the standards committee were agnostic and decided that the calendars in common use were based on religious grounds and should therefore be supplanted.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

Liam Caffrey wrote in message
<379F21FF.262BF74A_at_nortelnetworks.deletethispart.com>...
>What is the difference between the ISO standard for years (IYYY)
and the