Re: Study Access or Oracle

From: David Wheatley <wheat_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: 1997/01/05

Hi Andrew

Both Databases have their place, therefore to say one would be better than the other
is difficult, Oracle of course has better security and recovery etc.. than say Access,
but Access is an adequate database for handling 500,000 records plus no problem and is alot cheaper.

My feeling would be to stick with SQL as both small and large projects require it.

If you are in development concentrate on Oracle, Access and possibly SQL Server (coming up on the rails watch 1997) as you will have a skills of more value, If on the other hand Database administration is your thing Oracle because of its place in the market and the diversity in the market place is a good place to start, I done it for the last 6 years since Oracle Ver 5 and Im still learning. Consider may be VB or Delphi as another development language, using ODBC to access any compliant database.

Hope this is of some help

David Wheatley

<andrew.jose_at_hok.com> wrote in article <32CC4A06.6D7D_at_hok.com>...