Sybase or Oracle? (No flame wars please)

From: Ken Mcdonald <kmcdona_at_watson.wustl.edu>
Date: 1997/01/02

OK, I realize that this is going to be a provocative subject, but I really would appreciate advice. Our group has to decide on a database soon, and we don't know whether to go with Sybase or Oracle. Clearly Oracle has the lead in the marketplace--but is it a better product?

Of course, each product will have its strengths and weaknesses, so I realize I'm asking a pretty loaded question. Other things being equal (and I assume that performance and the like for the two databases are reasonably similar), what is probably most important for us is the ability to write clean code. Things such as having a database spread across different sites, or having a huge number of users, are not particularly important.

So, if you know enough about certain features of Sybase vs. Oracle to comment on them, and feel strongly that one is better than the other in some way, please drop me a line. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks,
Ken McDonald
email: kmcdona_at_watson.wustl.edu

Kenneth McDonald Genome Sequencing Center Washington University School of Medicine Phone: 314-286-1831