Study Access or Oracle

From: Andrew Jose <andrew.jose_at_hok.com>
Date: 1997/01/02

Hey,

I am currently expanding my programming abilities and deciding whether to study Oracle or MSAccess.

Languages/Db's I currently know are C, Ingres, Pascal and a little MSAccess.

I realize I am posting this to the Oracle group but would very much like an objective opinion as to which would suit me better.

My basic questions are as follows:

  1. Does using Oracle cause one to work more often with larger companies rather than with smaller firms which would automatically have Access with the omnipresent MSOffice? Or is this really too arbitrary to say? I would prefer smaller projects.
  2. I have found MSAccess limiting and frustrating at times because it sometimes cannot do what I want it to (at least directly). I admit I have not been using SQL and I always have in Ingres, perhaps AC would be OK if I used SQL explicitly. I have been told that Oracle is fullblown and does not limit ones options as much as Access does.
  3. I have also heard that Oracle is such a piece of work that unless I really want to become a career DBA, or programmer I should stick to the easier Access (although I have found access to be fairly simple when used in interactive mode for the simplest of things, I think it is rather involved when you want to extend yourself and necessitates the use of explicit SQL and VB).

So here I pose my questions to you to better find the most enjoyable and productive path in life.

Thankyou in the advance,

Andrew Jose
andrew.jose_at_hok.com Received on Thu Jan 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CST