Re: How do I browse a database ?

From: R.Wieser <address_at_not.available>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 09:25:37 +0200

Jerry,

> Yes, LOWER() is a string function (converts the string to lower case) so I
> guess it would return a string if used on a numeric field.

I guess it does. Though I also read somewhere that when a number (as in an actual, non-string-i-fied) is supplied it should do nothing - which I took as nothing being done on non-strings. Than again, they might have been referring to a string not containing any convertable characters there ...

And just as I thought that that would make my job harder as I would need to check the type of each field and only wrap it in a LOWER() if its a string, I realized that the SELECT would need to be caseless too (probably using COLLATE NOCASE). No idea what that collate does on a non-string field though ...

>>> You may be thinking of the ORDER BY clause, which can use comma
>>> separated
>>> column names.
>>
>> Initially, yes. But I verified (or at least tried to verify) the WHERE
>> usage
>> on that webpage I posted the link to.
>
> That's an extension to SQL then. I guess they just use the same parser as
> for other expressions in the SQL statement.

It might well be. I just struck me as intuitive/logical (matching the SELECT). I'll have to check what happens when I try.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser Received on Thu Aug 15 2019 - 09:25:37 CEST

Original text of this message