Re: Ubuntu MySQL install with Virtualmin - password problems with 16.04.4 server

From: Axel Schwenke <axel.schwenke_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:42:38 +0200

[Quoted] On 29.03.2018 22:02, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 03/29/18 20:09, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
>

>> I don't understand how it is that I can assign a root password as part
>> of the Virtualmin install, which Virtualmin then uses to administer the
>> database - but I cannot use that same password to log in, even at the
>> console.

> I would say bad design, the password is only for their front end and
> they leave the database without root password

[Quoted] [Quoted] I don't think that this is correctly deduced. MySQL ships (for quite some time now) with the auth_socket plugin [1] enabled and uses it for the default "root_at_localhost" account. That means for connecting to MySQL as root you don't need any password - when you run the "mysql" command as user root.

[Quoted] *I* think that Virtualmin just isn't aware of that. It asks for a password that is never needed.

[1] https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/socket-pluggable-authentication.html Received on Fri Mar 30 2018 - 11:42:38 CEST

Original text of this message