Re: Ubuntu MySQL install with Virtualmin - password problems with 16.04.4 server

From: J.O. Aho <user_at_example.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 22:02:30 +0200

[Quoted] On 03/29/18 20:09, Abandoned Trolley wrote:

> I am able to get in to mysql by simply using "mysql --user=root" as
> superuser on the machine console - so there is not problem getting
> access to the database.

That wasn't clear from your original post.

> I don't understand how it is that I can assign a root password as part
> of the Virtualmin install, which Virtualmin then uses to administer the
> database - but I cannot use that same password to log in, even at the
> console.

[Quoted] I would say bad design, the password is only for their front end and they leave the database without root password to make it simple to access from scripts which they use to do administrative tasks (my guess), I would still recommend you to ask the question at their web forum, as they will be far better to answer why they have chosen to ignore to secure the server.

--

 //Aho