Re: Ubuntu MySQL install with Virtualmin - password problems with 16.04.4 server

From: J.O. Aho <user_at_example.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 13:34:33 +0200

[Quoted] On 03/30/18 11:42, Axel Schwenke wrote:
> On 29.03.2018 22:02, J.O. Aho wrote:

>> On 03/29/18 20:09, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
>>
>>> I don't understand how it is that I can assign a root password as part
>>> of the Virtualmin install, which Virtualmin then uses to administer the
>>> database - but I cannot use that same password to log in, even at the
>>> console.
>>
>> I would say bad design, the password is only for their front end and
>> they leave the database without root password

> I don't think that this is correctly deduced. MySQL ships (for quite some
> time now) with the auth_socket plugin [1] enabled and uses it for the
> default "root_at_localhost" account. That means for connecting to MySQL as root
> you don't need any password - when you run the "mysql" command as user root.

[Quoted] At least the Linux distributions I have been using have always required you to provide a root user password before the first time use, this as otherwise every user who has access to the machine will also get database administration rights, which you most likely do not want to do, it my be different in a microsoft environment where you traditionally just have one user.

> *I* think that Virtualmin just isn't aware of that. It asks for a password
> that is never needed.

[Quoted] The password is most likely needed to get access to the database in their web gui, the web gui connects without password to the database.

--

 //Aho