RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g: A Problem-Solution Approach
It's sometimes said that the true job of an Oracle database administrator can be summed up in one, essential skill: to be able to recover your database.
There's much wisdom in that statement. Of all the things you are responsible for as a database administrator, nothing is more important than the data itself. Like it or not, the fearsome responsibility of protecting your organization's most critical data falls squarely upon your shoulders:
- Lose that data and your company could fail.
- Lose that data and you could be out of a job.
Scared? You should be. But there's help. You are not alone. Oracle experts Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda have come together in this book to show you the power of Recovery Manager, or RMAN, which is Oracle's backup and recovery tool of choice. Oracle RMAN Recipes helps you take advantage of all that RMAN has to offer by providing easy-to-understand solutions to business-critical backup and recovery operations. This handy guide
- Demystifies the steps required to protect your business data
- Provides ready-made and step-by-step solutions to simple and complex backup, restore, and recovery operations
- Is task-oriented, making it easy for you to find the solution to pressing backup and recovery problems
- Respects your time by providing example-based solutions, not endless reading material
When the pressure's on, you don't have time for long discussions of theory. This book gets right to the point with quick and easy-to-read, step-by-step solutions that can help you backup and recover your data with confidence.
What you'll learn
Oracle Database experts Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda show you how to
- Reliably back up and recover your database using Oracle's Recovery Manager.
- Let Oracle Database manage your backup files via the Flash Recovery Area.
- Automate backup and recovery tasks by writing scripts.
- Troubleshoot RMAN problems and optimize RMAN performance.
- Interface with a Media Management Layer to manage your backup tape library.
- Recover from the loss of a control file, loss of an online redo log, and other (hopefully!) unusual situations.
Who is this book for?
Oracle database administrators responsible for database backup and recovery operations.
Expert Oracle Database 10g Administration
Expert Oracle Database Architecture: 9i and 10g Programming Techniques and Solutions