Re: Question regarding Oracle's stance of non-support for Non-Oracle Public Cloud

From: Michael Brown <dba_at_michael-brown.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 16:39:43 -0500

It is no different than the VMWare statement from years ago.  Steven Chan (who was EBS ATG at Oracle backen then) said we don’t certify on Dell, HP, or any other physical server brand either.  There is a difference between certified and supported.

If your database is crashing with a segmentation fault, you are generally working the issue from both a database and OS/server side.  The cloud provider is your server side in this case.

--
Michael Brown

On Jan 23, 2023, at 4:28 PM, Jeremiah Cetlin Wilton <jcwilton93_at_earlham.edu> wrote:

Whether or not Oracle will support you is a matter covered in your signed license and support agreement, not in any one of a number of non-legally-binding scareware notes.

Thousands of Oracle customers run with great success on non-Oracle clouds. Because customers run more than Oracle, they use the big fully-featured cloud services in order to take advantage of the full ecosystem of services those clouds offer, including other databases. I suspect more run on non-Oracle clouds than on Oracle's cloud.

Thanks

Jeremiah

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 1:17 PM Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman <dbakevlar_at_gmail.com> wrote:
I'm just going to be very blunt here-  How often are they that helpful if you are on a certified platform after you've submitted all the detailed information? :)  Maybe it's just me, but I would rather pull my fingernails out one-by-one than submit an SR for an unknown issue to MOST any vendor.  I love MOS searches for known bugs, but if it's an unknown, oh, that's not going to be fun for anyone and I'd most likely figure out the solution/work around on my own than if I'm busy submitting the same answers to tedious questions 3-10 times in the SR.

I just never found them to be that helpful to begin with when I WAS considered on a certified platform.  I'm on a platform that has a "partnership" and supposed to get support and I don't think it matters much.  Support for most vendors when it comes to new bugs is painful at best and for my customers, I spend the majority of the time convincing my Microsoft support folks that it's a database problem and they actually need to step back and let the customer submit the Oracle SR!  LOL

Kellyn Gorman

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 1:10 PM Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com> wrote:
Hmm, that note specifically says:

Oracle has not certified any of its products on Non-Oracle Public Cloud Environments. Oracle Support will assist customers running Oracle products on Non-Oracle Public Cloud Environments in the following manner: Oracle will only provide support for issues that either are known to occur on an Oracle Certified Platform outside of a non-Oracle Cloud Environment (Oracle Certification Home), or can be demonstrated not to be as a result of running on a Non-Oracle Public Cloud Environment.

So if you're got a new bug (say in 21c or newest 19c), they could tell you to take a hike based on that if I'm reading that correctly?  (Assuming they find out this is a cloud environment you're having an issue on.... )

Chris

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 4:05 PM Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman <dbakevlar_at_gmail.com> wrote:
For me, it's not a big deal.  Oracle has a lot to manage with their cloud customers and their on-premises one, so they are no longer certifying anything outside of their own clouds.  We have support for Oracle databases in Azure and when a problem arises, you simply verify the problem is a database issues and then ask the customer to open up an SR.  Ensuring that customers understand the difference between certified and supported is often the biggest hurdle, but it's not really a big deal.  Oracle supports Oracle on Azure and that's the important thing.  That they don't have the resources to certify it end to end running on Azure-  heck, they probably wouldn't know where to start anyway.

Thanks,

Kellyn Gorman

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 12:43 PM Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com> wrote:
For you guys running in clouds other than Oracle's public cloud, how do you get around this doc?  I know you'd have to almost volunteer the information that its another vendor's cloud, but dmidecode will show that its a cloud environment so I'm curious.

Has anyone run into issues related to this?

Doc:  Oracle Database Support for Non-Oracle Public Cloud Environments (Doc ID 2688277.1)