Re: Why ASMLib doesn't restart automatically on Oracle RAC 19c/12c after restarting Linux 7 server?

From: Jon Crisler <joncrisler_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 09:30:35 -0400

You earlier said that the ASM Filter Driver was not being used. We started using it after internal testing showed that performance using SLOB and Orion was not impacted when using ASMFD. In some cases ASMFD is even faster.
I also found that it works well to prevent errors like accidentally dropped disks. For example- lets say you are using "oracle" as the owner of your disks- any IO operation to those disks must be done by the user Oracle, and by one of the programs inside Oracle that typically do ASM IO, including kfed, kfod etc. Otherwise the IO is blocked. It has been 1-2 years since I tested this out, but I believe that was supposed to be one of its main advantages.

In a few cases, a Linux sysadmin accidentally destroyed the OCR disks, causing a major headache and outage to repair.