Re: Suggestions on moving to cloud

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 20:44:32 -0400

On 4/14/22 20:12, Jeremiah Wilton wrote:
> For most customers, the biggest draw is efficiency and flexibility.
> You can use and pay for as much or as little infrastructure and
> services as you need at any time, and there’s no lead/build time to
> provision or de-provison. It’s also available instantly via a public
> API to anyone with a credit card. That was never the case with IBM in
> the ‘70s and ‘80s. There’s also the fact that most public clouds run
> higher end overall infrastructure, security and facilities across more
> regions and geographies than the average mid-sized company can afford.

Hi Jeremiah,

You are with Amazon for a really long time, one of the best Oracle guys on the planet. With you and Kevin Closson, AWS is an Oracle super-power. However, that doesn't change the fact that moving to the cloud is a business decision, not a technological decision.  Companies frequently decide to move to the cloud on the same basis as my wife is buying her shoes: this type is in style this season, let's buy them. And while that type of reasoning is OK with my wife's shoes, I have my doubts when the same type of decision making is applied to transition to cloud. And yes, modern cloud is a bit more than what IBM was doing in the 70's. I fully agree with that. If you want to laugh, I have finished the courses in PL/1, CICS and DL1. I was definitely a PL/1 certified person in 1986. I am afraid that this gives away my age, sort of. Since I remember when you joined oracle-l as Amazon.com DBA sometimes in the 90's, you're not much younger than me, if at all. BTW, I am an Amazon customer since 1998.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant