Re: Suggestions on moving to cloud

From: Jeremiah Cetlin Wilton <jcwilton93_at_earlham.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 20:17:51 -0400 (EDT)

Full disclosure, I’m an engineer at AWS.

I guess I’d say it is a bit more than hypervisors and storage. By the way, geographic reach, scale and range of offerings vary significantly across cloud providers.

More than one cloud provider offers, in addition to infrastructure, a number of “managed services” including managed databases among which Oracle databases (and many others) are included. There are significant differences between the managed services offered by the various cloud providers. These services (for databases) go a step beyond the infrastructure and reliably automate tasks like provisioning, backups, restores, upgrades, high availability, disaster recovery, replication, and other tasks via a web API. These automaton workflows have at this point been perfected over many years and millions of databases.

For most customers, the biggest draw is efficiency and flexibility. You can use and pay for as much or as little infrastructure and services as you need at any time, and there’s no lead/build time to provision or de-provison. It’s also available instantly via a public API to anyone with a credit card. That was never the case with IBM in the ‘70s and ‘80s. There’s also the fact that most public clouds run higher end overall infrastructure, security and facilities across more regions and geographies than the average mid-sized company can afford.

I have no opinion on what certifications are worthwhile, but I guess for some people the types of classes that come with the certifications are helpful for understanding the technology. For others self-taught is the way to go.

I hope this helps.

Jeremiah

On Apr 14, 2022, at 4:28 PM, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

On 4/14/22 09:11, Pap wrote:
Hello Experts, Being worked mainly in database development, performance tuning side (that to mostly Oracle(plsql) and those are on-premise and now on Exadata). And considering current technology trends which is mostly driving toward cloud(and AWS being vastly used one). And even organization is asking to have well versed with same cloud technology. Is there any specific path we should follow or say specific document/books to read or certification advisable to move through this transition easily?

As i understand there are hundreds of services in AWS and also got to know of certification there like "AWS Certified Solutions Architect, AWS Certified SysOps Administrator , AWS Certified Developer etc". So, are these the basic stepping stones to go through? A clarity on this would be greatly helpful.

Regards

Pap

Pap, I'll let you have it without any embellishments. Every cloud is essentially the same thing: running your stuff on somebody else's equipment. All certifications basically attest your knowledge of the vendor's marketing terms like "S3 storage" or "glacier" and the knowledge of the self-service VM menus. Running things on somebody else's equipment isn't new, IBM was doing it in 1970's. Current vendors can sell the same physical CPU multiple times. You probably have more virtual processors on your virtual machines than there are physical processors on the machine running the hypervisor. IBM couldn't do that, they were charging by the used CPU time and consumed disk space. So, basically, each of those certifications attests to your familiarity with the corporate virtualization menus. In other words, those certifications are meaningless. Whether to move your database to a cloud or not is a business decision, not a technology decision. I would advise checking the collected works of Scott Adams for the guiding principles.
--

Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

--