Re: Recommendation for Oracle Monitoring tool

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 00:13:16 -0400

Well, OEM is huge, uses WebLogic and is a nightmare to upgrade. It suffers from typical Oracle complexity. Other than that, it's a decent monitoring tool. It takes a bit of getting used to. I was depressed the first time I saw something like this:

open(RMAN,"|rman target /") || die("Cannot launch RMAN:$!\n");

while(<>)  {

     next if /^\#/;

     print RMAN;

}

The first time I saw something like that, in 1994, I thought I will never learn it. And yet I did. Now I feel sorry that my employer doesn't allow Perl in their environment. I still think that Perl is the best thing since sliced bread. However, the official scripting language in the most places is Python. I had to learn that, too. It felt like going back to COBOL, with the tabs and indentation. I hear that Python 4 will have Object Division, Data Division and Program Division. You get exactly the same feeling the first time you have to cinfigure OEM. However, once you get used to it, it's fine, I guess.

Oracle products like OEM, multi-tenant option, dbms_stats and optimizer in general suffer from too much complexity. DB2 runstats is much simpler and does the same job. DB2 handling of multiple databases is much, much simpler than Oracle's. DB2 control center is much simpler than Oracle's. Oracle is a Dusenberg of relational databases. Impossible to top but too expensive and too complex.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant