Re: Create 12c or 18c database in traditional architecture

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 09:27:44 +0100

Mark: I'll add that to my list. :)

To follow on from Mark's point, do you remember the days when stuff like LMTs and ASSM got introduced? Soon after we started getting features that were only available if you were using these features. The minimum work possible will be done on the original codepath from now on. Anything new will be coded against multitentant, and only "back ported" to the old architecture if absolutely necessary. There are of course features (like sharding) that were initiated before GA of multitentant, which take time to catch up, but new stuff is multitenant-first.

We should also consider that Oracle Cloud is multitenant-only. There are plenty of big companies doing lift-and-shift to Oracle Cloud because of the licensing savings they are being offered to do it. They are moving to multitenant. That all adds to the pressure on people to learn multitenant.

Regarding Mladen's point, I'm not sure we've had a "true test" of non-CDB yet. Oracle have committed to non-CDB for the lifetime of the 12.2 release, so theoretically they could have desupported it in 18c, but if we consider that 18c and 19c are 12.2.0.2 and 12.2.0.3 respectively, it was unlikely they will really attempt to do this until release 20, which will be the next major release. Of course, something can be desupported without removing any code path. 18c is the terminal release of streams, but it remains to be seen if the code is actually removed in 19c, or just desupported.

Cheers

Tim...