Re: OT: The new Oramag digital format

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 13:54:14 -0500

On 2016/05/13 12:29, Hans Forbrich wrote:

> When I resize the content (using "Command -" on Mac) to make the front page fit my available browser area, the magazine seems acceptable.

It's more than just the size of the content, although that is one of my sticking points:

  • There appears to be no offline/downloadable edition.
  • A single page cannot be viewed in its entirety without navigation.
  • Pages cannot be viewed side-by-side.
  • Navigation must use the mouse in some cases (e.g. horizontal scrolling), mouse dragging in others (e.g. vertical pull-downs), and keyboard in still others.
  • No page numbers for reference.
  • Cannot view full screen.
  • Cannot change text size.
  • Cannot zoom/unzoom pages.

I was asked to give an example of the keyboard necessity, but after 6 months I don't recall.

The growing trend of "mobilizing" content is tiresome at best (Oracle online docs, which prevent image resizing on mobile of all things) and unusable at worst (Oracle Magazine). Mobile is a convenience for me, but my large-screen devices are a necessity. Don't sacrifice my needs for convenience.

This Friday soapbox feels good, but now it's back to documenting my RMAN backups in DokuWiki, which is out-of-the-box usable in both mobile and desktop formats.

Rich