Re: OT: The new Oramag digital format

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 12:48:44 -0600

Just curious (neither agreeing nor disagreeing, because I'm looking at it for the first time), but specifically what frustrates?

One thing I notice immediately is that there appears to be no way to view it as a magazine, such as the presentation that Flipboard uses. Even a one- or two-page PDF would probably suffice.

One thing positive about the decomposed format is that people can reference articles directly, rather than referring obliquely to "XYZ's article in the January 2015 Oracle magazine".

Would it be incorrect to say that a dual-format would be welcome (i.e. one format like a magazine similar to Flipboard, the other decomposed format more suited to online browsing)?

I assume the new format is intended to be more accessible on small screens, which generally looks "clunky" on traditional browsers displayed on large screens.

The main reason I ask is that I'm probably soon going to become the newsletter editor for the RMOUG newsletter "SQL>Update" <http://www.rmoug.org/newsletter/rmoug-sqlupdate-newsletters-online/>. We have been publishing the newsletter publicly online for several years, complementing the hard-copy published for members since the late 1980s. For now, we're doing the easy thing, which is posting PDF in both single- and two-page formats, but ultimately I'd like to employ the Flipboard plugin to replace (or augment) the PDFs and also work on decomposing the articles for easier online browsing, reference, and access. So, I'm seeking useful and actionable ideas to thieve shamelessly... I know Iggy (who edits the superlative NoCOUG newsletter <http://nocoug.org/newsletter.html>) will be equally interested...

Thanks!