RE: OT: The new Oramag digital format

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 08:27:43 -0700

<unabashed promotion of the NoCOUG Journal>Contrast with the NoCOUG Journal. The latest version is at http://www.nocoug.org/Journal/NoCOUG_Journal_Latest.pdf. Older issues are at http://www.nocoug.org/Journal/NoCOUG_Journal_YYYYMM.pdf where YYYY is the four digit year and MM is one of 02, 05, 08, and 11 (the months in which NoCOUG has conferences). Printed copies are sent to NoCOUG members and also distributed at the quarterly NoCOUG conferences.</unabashed promotion of the NoCOUG Journal> To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: OT: The new Oramag digital format Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 13:54:14 -0500
From: rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com

On 2016/05/13 12:29, Hans Forbrich wrote: When I resize the content (using "Command -" on Mac) to make the front page fit my available browser area, the magazine seems acceptable.

It's more than just the size of the content, although that is one of my sticking points: There appears to be no offline/downloadable edition. A single page cannot be viewed in its entirety without navigation. Pages cannot be viewed side-by-side. Navigation must use the mouse in some cases (e.g. horizontal scrolling), mouse dragging in others (e.g. vertical pull-downs), and keyboard in still others. No page numbers for reference. Cannot view full screen. Cannot change text size. Cannot zoom/unzoom pages. I was asked to give an example of the keyboard necessity, but after 6 months I don't recall. The growing trend of "mobilizing" content is tiresome at best (Oracle online docs, which prevent image resizing on mobile of all things) and unusable at worst (Oracle Magazine). Mobile is a convenience for me, but my large-screen devices are a necessity. Don't sacrifice my needs for convenience. This Friday soapbox feels good, but now it's back to documenting my RMAN backups in DokuWiki, which is out-of-the-box usable in both mobile and desktop formats. Rich