Re: OT - Oracle Gateway to a DB2 10.1 database.

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:54:33 +0100

Bill,

    AFAIK IBM is working hard on making DB2 compatible with Oracle (rather funny when you see how Oracle was happily cloning SQL/DS and DB2 twenty-five years ago). There is a DB2_COMPATIBILITY_VECTOR parameter that can be set (db2set DB2_COMPATIBILITY_VECTOR= ORA) . There is an article about this here:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/dmmag/DMMag_2009_Issue2/InTrans/index.html

I know very well that everything works better in the docs than in reality but it's just possible that running DB2 in "Oracle-compatible" mode would, if not make the migration instant (I doubt it), at least make the code changes really minimal without adding a "gateway" layer (which doesn't come free either, does it?)

HTH,

--
Stephane Faroult
RoughSea Ltd <http://www.roughsea.com>

-- Stephane Faroult RoughSea Ltd <http://www.roughsea.com> Konagora <http://www.konagora.com> RoughSea Channel on Youtube <http://www.youtube.com/user/roughsealtd> -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l